Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Trip to the Oyster House

After Kristina, Kandice, Jeremy and I went to Pike Place Market, we went to the Brooklyn Seafood, Steak and Oyster House in downtown Seattle for dinner.

Kandice and Jeremy are foodies. That means they like to eat gourmet food. My daughter says that she developed a taste for oysters in a half shell while working in Boston, Massachusetts. Since they normally eat oysters from the Atlantic Ocean, she and Jeremy wanted to try oysters from the Pacific Ocean. They chose to dine at the Brooklyn because the Brooklyn offers the largest rotating selection of fresh oysters in Seattle.


Now I would lying to you if I said I liked to eat oysters. The truth is I have rarely eaten oysters in my life. I think they're slimy. I did try one at the Brooklyn, and it wasn't half-bad. All right. I'll be generous. It was good. But I would have preferred to leave the oyster at the seashore so that it could produce pearls.

But Kandice, Jeremy and Kristina really did enjoy sampling the oysters. They ordered a baker's dozen. They were so pleased with the first that they ordered a second baker's dozen.


Meanwhile, I happily munched on a delicious salad.

I learned that oysters from one part of the seashore taste different than oysters from other areas. I also learned a few new terms to describe this new delicacy. For example, "briny" means it tastes like fish. In contrast, other oysters taste "fruity."

In addition to oysters, the Brooklyn offers fresh seafood delivered daily, beef aged for 28 days and leg of lamb.

The Brooklyn Seafood, Steak and Oyster House is located at 1212 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98101. The restaurant is located across the street from the Seattle Art Museum. It's just a short walk from Pike Place Market or the Seattle waterfront.

Hours of operation are from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. during the week. On Saturday the restaurant is open from 4:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. On Sunday it is open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. You can make reservations online or by telephoning (206) 224-7000.

Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment