Friday, February 17, 2012

Victim's Family Devastated by Commuted Sentence

In November 2011, I wrote several articles about Francis Hernandez, a punk with whom I was briefly acquainted when I was a teenager. After my family and I moved away from Long Beach, California, Fran was arrested, tried and convicted of murdering 21 year old Edna Bristol and 16 year old Kathy Ryan. He was sentenced to death. In August 2011, the California Supreme Court commuted his sentence to life in prison.

Last week, Kathy Ryan's brother commented on my articles. I want to share his comments with my readers because I'm opposed to abolishing the death penalty. When a convicted killer's sentence is commuted, it can be devastating to his victims' families.

First Comment:

"I came across your blog today and was both shocked and amazed. Kathaleen Ryan (Kathy) is my sister. She was not just killed by Francis Hernandez, she was raped, sodomized, and physically abused. When the court overturned a death penalty that was more than likely never going to be carried out my family was sent again into a tail spin. Both my parents are still living and this event ruined them for life as people. I can not begin to express how this has changed my life. My sister was murdered 31 years ago this week and I look at her pictures and it still hurts. Now I am an only children with older parents who do not know any joy.

As for him being abused, I am sorry, but neither Edna nor Kathy had great family lives. Your past should not be used as a reason to commit horrible acts against anyone.

I am surprised though that this has not been a bigger deal in the press. As you wrote he has been on death row 30 years. You think this appeal would be a story at least in the Long Beach area. The over turning of the death sentence has also been appealed. So far no news. knew this and who you are. If you write on this topic again please know that Kathy is as real today to me as the day she died and I am very protective of her.
Daniel Ryan III"

Second Comment:

Francis did not know Edna. He was just a girl in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can not say that Francis and Kathy were friends, but he knew some of the same people she did. He was a violent killer not a clever one. When he killed my sister there was plenty of evidance to convict him. Not so with Edna. I think of Edna and her family now as I type this and they were so poor and lost in the court room.I have no idea what happened to them or if any of them are still living.I was only 20 at the time hearing things you never want to. In the end I would say he killed both girls and maybe others we do not know about because he could. He had no soul. These were not crimes of anger, or passion, these were thought out plans of evil.

My reply:

Dear Daniel:

I want you to know that many people who live or have lived in Long Beach still remember your sister and Edna. I was acquainted with Fran, but I did not know the girls. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER forgive him for what he did to Kathy and Edna.

Shortly after the murders, the friend who introduced Fran to me told me that Fran was acquainted with Edna. My friend said Edna was hitchhiking. Fran recognized her and offered her a ride. The thought of Fran raping and murdering girls whom he knew made him all the more frightening to us. If the information I had was incorrect, I apologize.

I have always believed that Edna and Kathy were Fran's only victims. But you are right. He may have murdered others whom we don't know about. After all, he was a serial killer and a child killer. I hope that he is never released from prison because I'm afraid he will pick up where he left off.

Best of luck to you and to your family!
Love,
April


7 comments:

  1. ( FH stands for his name ) I too knew FH, he was friends with Chris Jackson, who lived almost across the street from me. This is no excuse, I must say, we know right from wrong, although I do not believe people kids are born to kill, this is a learned behavior, yes FH was abused in every way a boy could be. So he was taught violence,taught to beat, hit others, fight, rob what ever was done on to him, he did on to others.
    ( God Bless your sister & the other girl, I said a prayer for them both )
    FH also raped a girl under the bungalow at Demille, he was not convicted for this. Know he rots in Jail, he no longer has freedom for anything that brings a person Joy. An 8x10 cell, he eats crap for food, itchy clothes, and noisy peace. His Hell has just begun, the older he gets the body starts falling apart, and he can't do anything about it. So it might not be the greatest punishment, he is alive, but he is alive and suffering, <<<< hence the suffering part.
    Lastly, I know Danial, you said even the press telegram did not write about his sentence, he doesn't deserve to have another written word about him EVER EVER EVER. it IS A WASTE OF OUR ENERGY TO mention FH name. let it rot in hell with him. enough said !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Fran is a despicable person. However, his case is worth discussing because an appeal has been filed.

      It's my understanding that his death sentence was commuted because the trial judge didn't take into consideration that Fran had a history of alcoholism and drug abuse.

      I don't think judges should have to consider alcoholism or drug abuse when sentencing criminals. There are millions of alcoholics and drug addicts in the world. The vast majority of them don't rape, sodomize, or kill innocent girls.

      It's silly to blame the murders on alcohol or marijuana. Alcohol and drugs may decrease inhibitions. But a person who gets drunk or high won't commit certain acts (i.e. rape or murder) unless those acts are already in his thought processes.

      This brings us back to whether Fran was abused as a child. I didn't know Fran well enough to know if he was abused, but I believe he was.

      Being abused as a child doesn't give you the right to hurt or kill anyone else. Fran could have just as easily chosen NOT to be like those who abused him. He could have thought, "I didn't like it when this was done to me. So I won't do it to anyone else."

      Fran made his own choices. He should be held accountable for those choices.

      Delete
  2. In a funny way your comments all made me laugh. You have to understand this is stuff I don't think about. If you do you go crazy. I use this to help others I talked to a woman this week her husband Rene Sanchez left at 11pm to meet a friend 4 years ago and never returned. I can feel her pain, but her's to me is worse. We knew Kathy was dead....he didn't try to hide it and all..another sign he didn't care and has no soul. I hadn't been back since that night so funny to see myself the subject of a blog...

    I remembered that Edna was hitch hiking downtown so I didn't think they knew each other. Edna's murder was more a mystery. It was Kathy's that convicted him.

    Nect there is a 90 page preif on line about the appeal..a juor asked her priest about the death penalty, and one family member asked a juor about the death penalty, and the abuse. I didn't read it all...I know I would never be stupid enough to talk to anyone. How they knew this stuff after so long, I have no idea.

    The long summary goes into more details about the murders than anyone may want to know. I don't remember the site...but should be easy to find.

    Someone mentioned Chris Jackson, there was a rumor that he helped kill my sister, plus he once hit me in the face and chipped my tooth. I heard he was dead. I hope this to be true. ( Ok I still have some anger issues but look at my life? I am glad to be sane)

    If anyone knew Kathaleen or Edna I'd like to talk to you. I am on Facebook under
    Daniel Ryan III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edna never knew him she had left the bar I worked in that night. Said she was going home to take a shower and change clothes. I told to stay but she insisted on going home. It was the last time I seen her. The next day I was told she had been murdered. I couldn't believe it. She was the kindest person in the world she had just turned 21. I still miss her. Once a a year I take flowers to her grave. I hope she realized how much she was loved. And may she RIP. I hope her killer rots in hell.

      Delete
    2. I was shown the pictures of them and what he did to them by the police. Why the state of California hasn't executed him is beyond belief.

      Delete
  3. I didnt know Kathleen or Edna, but I did know his girlfriend, Heidi Williams. I was 16 then and left Long Beach right before this happened. I also know that Heidi got pregnant and miscarried right before these horrific events. I feel that his victims could have been any one of us. I remember his green van, Ive been in it. Hung out at the Keyhole a few times with them. I always thought he was a little off back then, but didn't realize how much till i heard the story. My heart goes out to these girls families. I can't even imagine the hell they have carried with them for all these years. He should have been put to death a long time ago. Our judicial system sucks.
    Stefani Seton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt know Kathleen or Edna, but I did know his girlfriend, Heidi Williams. I was 16 then and left Long Beach right before this happened. I also know that Heidi got pregnant and miscarried right before these horrific events. I feel that his victims could have been any one of us. I remember his green van, Ive been in it. Hung out at the Keyhole a few times with them. I always thought he was a little off back then, but didn't realize how much till i heard the story. My heart goes out to these girls families. I can't even imagine the hell they have carried with them for all these years. He should have been put to death a long time ago. Our judicial system sucks.
    Stefani Seton

    ReplyDelete